Email newsletter content is one of the best ways for brands to stay in touch with their audience. If you’re wondering how to structure an effective email engagement newsletter, this article will outline what you need to know and provide you with five elements of an effective email newsletter.
What Is a Newsletter?
A newsletter is regular email content that is sent to your subscribers. Email newsletters provide company updates, product news, tips, and other industry-related information. Sending a newsletter is a great email marketing strategy to keep your subscribers engaged and your company at the top of their minds.
What Are the Different Types of Newsletters?
There are different types of content you can send through email newsletters. Three different types of email newsletters are:
- Authority-building: Authority-building newsletters portray your brand as a credible source within your industry. Authority newsletter content typically consists of expert advice, resources, case studies, or helpful tips. Building authority helps create a positive brand image and assures consumers that your brand is reliable.
- Trust-building: An important part of email marketing is building consumer trust that keeps customers loyal to your brand. Trust-building newsletters can be various types of content, including testimonials, customer feedback/reviews, reminders, personalized messages, or exclusive promotions for email subscribers.
- Sales promotions: Email newsletters can also be used to promote sales. Sales newsletters consist of advertisements, product launch announcements, or special offers. While sales newsletters can be useful, you shouldn’t overuse them. However, they’re great to mix in occasionally with regular authority and trust-building content.
All three of these types of newsletters are great for email marketing campaigns. Using a mix of each type of newsletter is often a great idea to provide your subscribers with well-rounded email content.
What Are the Elements of an Effective Newsletter?
You should pay attention to certain elements to ensure your newsletter content is effective. Five elements of an effective newsletter are:
- Design: When readers open your newsletter, it should look appealing and make them want to know more. Email newsletters with an appealing design will result in higher engagement and consumer receptiveness.
- Mobile-friendly: Along with an appealing design, your emails should be mobile-friendly. Most people will check their emails on mobile devices at least some of the time, so they must display well on mobile to maintain subscriber interest and high engagement rates.
- Readability: Once your design draws readers in, the body content should have good readability. Breaking up your text into short paragraphs, speaking in an active voice, and keeping your points concise will help keep your readers’ attention.
- Send time: Email marketing has a lot of clutter, since most people receive hundreds of emails each day. Optimizing send times for when subscribers are most likely to check their inboxes will help your emails stand out. AudiencePoint can help with this by analyzing subscriber activity to give you insights on the best time to send emails.
- Audience knowledge: You should know your audience’s wants, needs, or interests to create effective email content. AudiencePoint can help with this by providing detailed information about subscriber activity and characteristics, so you can tailor your content and segment your email list toward audience-specific needs.
Implementing each of these elements will help you create effective email content that results in high engagement rates.
How Do You Structure an Effective Newsletter?
There are some steps you should go through to ensure you structure your email newsletter effectively. To structure an effective newsletter, you should:
- Write an engaging subject line: To create an engaging subject line, you should show value, emphasize audience-specific keywords, and keep it brief.
- Write an attention-grabbing opening line: Along with the subject line, one of the most important elements of the newsletter is the opening line. The goal of your opening line should be to compel attention and get someone to read the rest of your email content. Keep your opening line brief and to the point in a way that sparks curiosity.
- Connect in the body text: The body content of your email should connect with the reader by targeting audience-specific pain points and other important elements. Relatable email content will be the most engaging, which is why audience knowledge is essential.
- Provide value: Providing readers with valuable content that is relevant to their needs will help ensure your emails make an impact. Before you hit send, think about if your subscribers will get enough value from their time by reading your content.
- Write a strong closing/CTA: Aim to end your content with a strong conclusion or CTA that drives home your main points. If your closing brings everything together and inspires action, you will see success from your email newsletter content.
Using this structure, along with engaging email strategies, will have you on track toward creating successful newsletters.
What Are Some Content Strategies for Newsletters?
Engaging email content ideas will help you get excellent results from your optimized email structure. Some great content options and strategies for email newsletters are:
- Industry or brand-specific how-to’s, advice, or tips
- Asking for audience feedback or ideas
- Contests or challenges
- Offering valuable information for free
- Community involvement or promoting events
Each of these types of content combined with an effective email structure will help ensure high engagement rates.
Are Newsletters Still Effective in 2023?
Email newsletters are still effective in 2023. Consumers enjoy receiving email newsletter content and are highly receptive to it. Research shows 61% of consumers enjoy receiving weekly email content from their favorite brands. If you aren’t already sending out a regular email newsletter, it is something you should consider doing.
How AudiencePoint Can Help You Create an Effective Newsletter
AudiencePoint can help you create effective email newsletter content. Our email insight software helps optimize send times, interpret data, and analyze your email list to get an idea of subscriber activity. Gathering all this important data allows AudiencePoint to give you actionable information on how to improve your email marketing campaigns. Contact us for more information about how AudiencePoint can help you.