Here at AudiencePoint, February has flown by! With so much going on, we want to update you on...
Tracking statistics for email marketing metrics like open rate, click-through rate, conversion rate, and ROI is a great way to optimize email marketing campaigns. This article will cover the effectiveness of email marketing, what good email marketing statistics are, and how you can improve statistics for important email engagement metrics.
How Effective Is Email Marketing?
Email marketing is a very effective way for businesses to promote products or services and connect with their customers. Aspects that show the effectiveness of email marketing are:
- High return on investment (ROI): Email marketing is the highest ROI digital marketing strategy, with an average ROI of $36 for every $1 spent. Email marketing offers a cost-effective option if you’re on a tight budget or trying to get the most out of your marketing budget.
- Increases sales: Research has shown that consumers spend 138% more when companies send marketing emails compared to when no emails are sent. This shows that consumers do open marketing emails and are often highly responsive to them.
- Increases purchase intent: 50.7% of consumers say they purchase something at least once per month after reading a marketing email. And 23.8% of consumers also say they make multiple purchases each month due to marketing emails. This shows that sending emails does help increase purchase intent and sways purchasing decisions.
All of these reasons make email campaigns a valuable marketing tactic for most industries. If you want to improve your marketing emails, tracking data and improving email marketing statistics will help you get better results.
What Are Good Email Marketing Statistics?
When optimizing your email marketing strategy, it’s important to track email marketing statistics to understand what areas of your emails are working and which could use improvement. Email metrics you should be tracking statistics for include:
- Open rate
- Click-through rate
- Conversion rate
The next sections will provide good statistics to aim for in each of these metrics and how you can improve your numbers for email marketing success.
What Is a Good Open Rate?
Email open rates can vary by industry, since different types of consumers interact with email content differently. The average email open rate across industries is 21.33%, excluding Apple MPP opens. In most industries, a good open rate is anything above this number.
Why Having a Good Open Rate is Important
A high open rate is essential to the success of your emails, since subscribers must open the email to engage with your content and follow a call to action.
Maintaining good open rates is also important to ensure your emails don’t start bouncing or getting marked as spam. If you have consistently low open rates, receiving domains may stop accepting your emails or start automatically sending them to spam. It’s difficult to recover open rates if this happens, since subscribers won’t see your emails in their inbox in the first place.
How to Improve Open Rate
A few ways to get higher open rates include:
- Create personalized subject lines, so they get your subscribers’ attention. Optimized email subject lines are one of the best ways to increase open rate.
- Consistently offer value in your emails that makes subscribers look forward to your email content.
- Optimize email send times, so that your emails arrive in subscribers’ inboxes when they are most likely to be checking their emails.
- Cover topics that are relevant and interesting for your subscribers.
AudiencePoint’s email insight software can help you improve these aspects by optimizing send times and providing valuable data about your email subscribers that help you create more engaging email content.
Effects of Apple MPP on Open Rate
Apple’s new mail privacy protection (MPP) has impacted the open rate metric. Emails sent to Apple devices are now opened on Apple proxy servers before landing in inboxes. This leads to inflated open rates when email opens are tracked in email analytics tools.
However, AudiencePoint is aware of this, and our software can identify Apple MPP opens to give you accurate metrics.
What Is a Good Click-Through Rate?
The average email marketing click-through rate across all industries is 2.62%. This means that a good click-through rate for most industries is anything above 2.62%. A good range to aim for is usually between 2-5%. Improving click-through rates will lead to more conversions and a higher email ROI.
How to Improve Click-Through Rate
The best ways to improve click-through rate are:
- Create engaging subject lines that encourage subscribers to open emails.
- Provide valuable content in your emails.
- Have a clear call to action.
- Create an aesthetic and reader-friendly email design.
Improving each of these areas of your emails will help you get open rates above the average.
What Is a Good Conversion Rate?
A good email conversion rate is usually between 2-5%, but it will vary depending on your industry. Whether your goal is to get sales, subscription sign-ups, app installs, or other types of conversions, having a high conversion rate is essential to the overall success of your email campaign.
How to Improve Conversion Rate?
The best ways to improve email conversion rate are:
- Ensure that your email content is engaging and relevant to your audience’s needs.
- Provide value throughout the email that builds consumer trust.
- Have a call to action that tells readers what to do next.
- Provide a good customer experience when readers click links to your website or sales pages.
Improving these areas to increase conversion rate will have a significant impact on boosting email ROI.
What Is a Good Email Marketing ROI?
A good ROI for email is anything above the average of $36 for every $1 spent. While ROI will depend on the industry and the products or services you sell, many top companies can generate email ROIs of up to $70 per $1 spent. The best way to improve email marketing ROI is to improve email statistics for open rate, click-through rate, and conversion rate.
How AudiencePoint Can Help Drive Better ROI for Email Marketing
AudiencePoint’s email insight software offers streamlined data tracking while providing actionable information to improve your email campaigns and boost ROI. Our insight software will provide you with accurate data, help optimize send times, and analyze your email list to give you suggestions for making your marketing emails more engaging for your audience. If you’re ready to reap the benefits of email marketing, contact AudiencePoint today.