Your marketing emails won’t make an impact if recipients aren’t opening them. This is why it’s essential to maintain high open rates and engagement on your emails. This article will cover what a good email marketing open rate is in 2022, along with information about other important email engagement metrics.
What Is the Average Email Open Rate?
The average email marketing open rate for all industries is 21.33% (without Apple MPP opens). Staying near the industry standard for open rates is important to ensure you maintain high engagement rates on your emails. High engagement signifies that your subscribers are interested in your content and will be more likely to follow a call to action.
What Is a Good Email Open Rate?
A good email open rate for most industries is anything that is above the average of 21.33% (not including Apple MPP opens.) If you’re averaging above this number, it is a great sign that your emails are performing well.
Problems Caused By Low Open Rates
A common problem businesses face with email marketing is low open rates. Consistently low email open rates can cause receiving domains to stop accepting your emails because they start recognizing them as spam. Once emails start bouncing or being sent to spam folders, it’s hard to recover open rates, since subscribers won’t receive your emails in the first place.
How to Improve Your Average Open Rate
You can take steps to improve your average open rate and avoid the negative aspects of emails bouncing or being sent to spam. Ways you can improve your average email open rate are:
- Market research: Knowing your target audience and their common pain points will help you cover topics in your emails that catch their attention. Using keywords or phrases in your subject line that mention common pain points or audience interests will get subscribers wanting to open your emails to know more.
- Consistent value: Providing consistent value in your emails will help you improve and maintain a good open rate long-term. Subscribers who find value in a brand’s emails will look forward to receiving them. In addition, using the subject line to emphasize the value that will be provided helps generate more interest and higher open rates.
- Optimize send times: Most people receive hundreds of emails each day. This causes a lot of clutter in inboxes, and many people won’t scroll through all their emails. Sending your emails when your subscribers are most likely to check their inboxes will put them near the top of the list, making it more likely that they are opened.
- Track data: Tracking data and measuring statistics for key email engagement metrics will help you improve your email marketing campaigns. These valuable insights will help you learn what aspects of your emails are successful and areas that could use improvement.
- Re-engage inactive subscribers: business with an email list will have some subscribers who aren’t engaged. Finding creative ways to re-engage inactive subscribers through special offers or content that stands out to them will help boost audience engagement and open rates. If all else fails, these subscribers can also be removed from your list, so they don’t bring down your overall engagement rate.
AudiencePoint’s email insight software can help you improve your average email open rate with actionable data. Our software streamlines the email marketing process and gives you valuable information that helps you optimize send times, track data about email performance, and identify inactive subscribers on your email list.
How Apple MPP Has Affected Open Rate
Apple’s new mail privacy protection (MPP) has affected the relevance of the open rate metric. Emails sent to the mail app on Apple devices are now opened on Apple proxy servers before landing in inboxes. This drives up open rate numbers when they are tracked in email analytics tools.
AudiencePoint is aware of this, and our software accounts for and identifies Apple MPP opens. This ensures that data tracked by our email insight software is up-to-date with today’s email marketing standards.
What Is a Good Click Rate?
A good email click rate will vary by industry, since different types of consumers interact with email content differently. A good range to be in for click rate is between 2-5%. The average click rate across all industries is 2.91%, so if you are above the average, it is a sign that you are getting a good click rate on your emails.
What Are the Most Important Email Marketing Statistics?
Measuring statistics for specific email marketing metrics is a great way to improve the success of your emails. The most important email metrics you should be tracking statistics for are:
- Open rate
- Click rate
- Conversion rate
- Bounce rate
- Unsubscribe rate
- Return on investment (ROI)
How AudiencePoint Can Help Improve Your Email Marketing Strategy
AudiencePoint’s email insight software can help improve your email marketing stats through data tracking, send time optimization, and analyzing email subscriber activity. The information our software gleans from your email list can help you improve email marketing statistics. AudiencePoint helps streamline email marketing, so you can focus more on other areas of your business. For more information about how AudiencePoint can help, contact us today. We’d love to answer any questions you may have.